Watch for the Signs
Because neglect often manifests itself in subtle ways at first, it may seem difficult to prove. This issue is compounded by the fact that most victims can’t fully describe the problem. If you have a bad feeling about your loved one’s nursing home care, don’t ignore it.
Watch for any of these warning signs of neglect or abuse:
- Pressure sores (commonly known as bedsores)
- Prolonged rashes
- Strong odors from urine or feces
- Noticeable inattentiveness to a resident’s hygiene/grooming
- Lack of assistance or preventative precautions (particularly if they lead to falls/injuries)
- Tears or scratches on the skin
- Mysterious wounds or bruises
- Fractured bones
- Noticeable weight loss
- Signs of dehydration
- Pronounced isolation and depression
- Fear, anxiety, or unusual mood changes
- Altered communication patterns (stubborn silences, inability to talk)
- General disorientation
- Signs of unwarranted physical or chemical restraints
Although some of the above signs may happen as a part of aging, if you notice multiple problems at once, talk to your nursing home neglect lawyer. The law firm of D’Agostino & Associates has offices in Staten Island, NY, Brooklyn, and the greater New York and New Jersey area.
We care about the level of nursing home care and want to protect innocent victims of abuse. D’Agostino & Associates P.C. has offices in New York and New Jersey. Contact us, or call us at 1-888-245-2924 to schedule a free consultation with our personal injury attorneys.